Camino de Santiago

On May 16th, I will begin my Camino--a 500 mile walk that begins in France and crosses northern Spain. Before I leave, I hope that this answers some of the questions you may have about my adventure. While I'm on the road, I hope to occasionally update it with postings and pictures. (Note: I'm not good with technology post-1985, so don't count on seeing any pictures.) As this is a journey for my soul, I may not be as diligent as I could be in updating this blog or in keeping in touch with you while I'm away. My apologies in advance. I hope you, and I, enjoy my journey. Gina

Monday, May 21, 2007

The Pyrenees Ain´t no Ozarks






So, I underestimated the Pyrenees a bit. I thought they were similar in altitude to the Ozarks. What did I know? First, let me say, the walk across was absolutely stunning. The smartest thing that I´ve ever perhaps done in my life is paid a service to carry my backpack across the mountains for me to my first stop, Roncevalles, which was about 18 miles away. That was the best 8 euros I´ve ever spent in my life!

To summarize my first day:
--I walked up a mountain
__I saw some horses just grazing on the side of the road--it was cool, they were like wild horses because they weren´t fenced in, but they belonged to someone because you could see their tags
--I kept walking up the moutains
--I saw flocks of sheep grazing on several different occasions
--I walked thru fog
--I kept walking up the mountain
--Saw some cows
--Helped several Europeans practice their English (because of course I didn´t know a word of their languages)
--Made these two nice Dutch ladies who I had met the night before laugh: Thru the fog, all they could see was my orange poncho, so they called me ´Caspar´the orange ghost. Then they said that pèrhaps I was their angel, but really, I think that ´Caspar the orange ghost is more áppropriate.
--Kept walking up mountains
--Walked thru mud
--Started walking down the mountains
--Walked thru a beautiful beech forest
--Walked thru even more mud ( I won´t be able to return my boots now)
--Kept walking
--Arrived Roncevalles around 6 p.m. I was so tired I didn´t even make it to dinner (and we all know that is a first.)
Having fun, Gina

6 comments:

carmen said...

Hey amiga Gina, Hope you are having a great time, get some rest, I want you completely rested by the time you get back so we can go salsa dancing, you will start a new woman, clean of sins, (I need that walk bad) See you soon

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to say, outside of a boat ride or a missing tube top, this sounds like every other story of a weekend bender at the lake. Are you sure your in Spain or is it Spanish Lake?

semokiwi said...

Hey Gina,
Sounds beautiful, if not a lot of walking. I would pay someone to carry your backpack all the way, so you can concentrate on your spiritual journey.
Nan

Anonymous said...

Mon chere, vous etes incroyable!

Sounds wonderful, like a spiritual detox!

I am living vicariously, there's a book in this, my friend!

Annie

Ann said...

Keep up the good traveling!!
Love, Ann

mjlacour said...

Have your feet been washed and blessed? Have you seen St James? Have you stayed awake long enough to eat?

More, please more!

Marcia