Camino de Santiago

On May 16th, I will begin my Camino--a 500 mile walk that begins in France and crosses northern Spain. Before I leave, I hope that this answers some of the questions you may have about my adventure. While I'm on the road, I hope to occasionally update it with postings and pictures. (Note: I'm not good with technology post-1985, so don't count on seeing any pictures.) As this is a journey for my soul, I may not be as diligent as I could be in updating this blog or in keeping in touch with you while I'm away. My apologies in advance. I hope you, and I, enjoy my journey. Gina

Sunday, June 24, 2007

My Trip By The Numbers

Days on the Camino: 36

Ponchos: 2

Hats: 3

Walking sticks: 3

Bottles of sunscreen: 3

Amount of red wine consumed: Gallons

Loaves of bread eaten: Ay, ay, ay

Number of times I´ve walked around with my secret hidden money belt showing for all the world to see: 45

Moments of enlightenment: 3

Moments of enlightenment interrupted by worries of getting laundry dry by the next day: 2

Days I´ve walked around with wet socks hanging off the back of my backpack: 30

Pairs of socks worn: 9

Pairs of socks that did not cause blisters: 0

Number of Americans I´ve met on the Camino: 50

Number of Americans I´ve met from Cape Girardeau: 2

Number of Americans I´ve met who know somebody who knows somebody I know (I know that´s horrible gramatically, but I don´t know how else to convey it): 4

Number of times I´ve thought to myself, "Oh, what stinks so bad?" then realized it was me: Several

Number of times I´ve cussed in front of another person: 3--at the most!

Number of times I´ve cussed to myself in my head: Not as many as you would think.

Number of Diet Cokes I´ve drank in Spain: Less than 15

Number of times I´d seen the same Shakira music video in a 2 day period: 5

Number of safety pins used to pop my numerous blisters: 1

Number of days using said safety pin before deciding to sterilize it: 14

Number of conversations which I´ve been actively involved in and have had no idea what was being said: 153

Really old men who´ve tried to kiss me: 2

Hot young men who´ve tried to kiss me: 0

Backpack weight (in kilos): 12 1/2

Backpack weight (in pounds): 26

Miles walked: 437

Pounds of fat burned off of Gina´s body: 1

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.